Wednesday, July 4, 2007

He comes from good genes. :)


So, a few weeks ago, Xavier and his teacher Miss Jeanne came looking for me in my classroom. Xavier had done some challenging work and wanted to show me. I was so happy when I saw that he had done the USA puzzle map. For those of you who have no idea what I am talking about, it is a wooden puzzle cut into the shapes of the 50 states. The child is to remove the states one by one and place them onto a control map on the other side of their rug, so that every piece fits. Kinda like putting the puzzle together outside the box. Then they have to put it back into the try so every piece fits inside the tray. We have one for almost every continent in Montessori (except Antarctica). Anyway, he did it by himself. Miss Jeanne said he needed help with the smaller states such as Rhode Island, Connecticut, and Massachusetts. I was so proud of him. I have 5 yr olds in my class who get 1/2 through and give up. He can also tell you on any USA map where Georgia, Colorado, Texas, Florida, and California are located. Right now we are working on Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama.

No comments: