Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A little sunshine mixed with clouds.

On Wednesday, January 14th, my Dad had 2 heart attacks. He was taken by ambulance to Albemarle Hospital in Elizabeth City, NC. I got a call around 8a.m., but didn't check my voicemail until my lunch break at 12:30. John called my estranged sister back and got the basic information. He was ok but there was no real prognosis. After leaving work early and talking with John, I decided to wait until Thursday afternoon to leave for NC. I went to work that morning, so I wouldn't go stir crazy, and left early so we could get on the road. My Aunt Helen and Uncle Ray called us while we were in SC and told us my dad was still ok and that they were headed back to their place in Raleigh, NC. I decided to head there instead and go to hospital in the morning. I got to the hospital around 11a.m. and got to see my dad. He was looking a lot better than I had anticipated from all the reports we had gotten through the night. He was really glad to see me and the kids. We visited for awhile and then left to go check in to our hotel. I came back and stayed with him for 2 hours later that evening. There was talk of releasing him Saturday afternoon, but he would have to get up and move around and couldn't go without using forced oxygen.
When I saw him Saturday morning, he was tired, but feeling better. He decided to take the oxygen and see where that would take him over the next few weeks and months.
The kids got to see him one last time before we left for Raleigh that afternoon.
While at my aunt and uncle's that night, we talked to him on the phone very briefly. He was glad to be out of the hospital and not sure if he would be able to go back to work. We are going to call him later this week to check on him.

I am glad that I went and saw him. This is the beginning of the end for him. John's mom passed 5 years ago of COPD, so I already know what is expected. It is hard and sad at the same time. I know that God gave me this opportunity to say goodbye, because there may not be time to do so later.

I am so grateful for all the love, prayers, and support from family and friends over the last few days. It truly helped me and my family get through a trying and emotional time.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Tabitha, I was checking out your web page, (It is the nicest one I have seen) and read about your dad. I will also add him to my prayer list and am so sorry to hear he is sick. I think of Aunt Nancy a lot and I know what to expect with myself. Take care and I will be thinking of you all. Love and prayers, Patricia